Monday, January 27, 2014

WHILE this topic is personal for me, I also know that it is a common experience for so many others,

Soraya Nulliah: My art tells the truth about violence that I experienced and survived have | The 50 Million Missing Campaign: "50 million disappeared"
In 2006, the feminist conagra russellville ar artist Soraya Nulliah held at the Nina Haggerty Centre in Edmonton, Canada, an exhibition titled "Shakti". The Hindu word Shakti is the female personification of the force. Soraya's intention, Shakti was to swear by, she used her art to raise awareness conagra russellville ar on violence against Indian women. One of the meetings stressed to her exhibition: "Among the lush colors and textures hides a sad theme: the reality of violence against women ...". The Gru nderin the campaign "The 50 Million Missing", Rita Banerji, recently conducted an interview with Soraya Nulliah, which we present here in this particular post. To learn more about ΓΌ Soraya and her art, visit her website www.sorayanulliah.com.
Rita: Her family is of Indian origin but you grew up in streets of South Africa and Canada and now live in the United States. Why did you choose the theme of "violence against Indian women" conagra russellville ar for your painting and your exhibition? conagra russellville ar
SORAYA: I am an Indian woman and survivor of an abusive and violent childhood. Therefore, the issue of violence is primarily a personal issue for me. I know what it's like to be an abused child to always live in fear of being humiliated and disempowered. Rita, I remember conagra russellville ar even now, exactly, so many years later: One day (I was about seventeen years old), after my father had beaten me, my "mother" came into my room and said, "Soraya ... we must resign ourselves ... we are Indian women "And conagra russellville ar I said to her." you decide, you come to terms with it ... I do not. "
I spent about 4-5 months in an emergency shelter conagra russellville ar for young people, because "home" is not a safe place for me was (I visited the High School). Since my "mother" conagra russellville ar that was me would have to protect and told me that I should accept abuse. These key experience changed conagra russellville ar me because I realized that my silence will not protect me, it weakens me.
WHILE this topic is personal for me, I also know that it is a common experience for so many others, especially for women of Indian communities. Each of my girlfriends in the Indo-Canadian community came either from a violent family, conagra russellville ar lived in an abusive marriage, or both.
All while your campaign is aimed at women in India against the Genderzid (gender genocide), also Indian women happened outside India! When I went to university in Canada, there was an incident conagra russellville ar in near our home. An Indian man went into the basement and schug his wife's head off while their children were on the top floor! In the six weeks of my exhibition three Indian conagra russellville ar women arrived in Vancouver killed. A story that infuriated me and brought tears to the eyes of a young pregnant woman who already conagra russellville ar had a daughter. She was dead and charred found, while her husband had not even reported conagra russellville ar as missing for weeks. It turned out that she was expecting another daughter! Violence is an everyday reality for Indian women, and even if we suffer conagra russellville ar in silence and think our silence would save us (hope?), It does not.
Rita: What made you decide to give a different answer conagra russellville ar to this violence? In the end, you grew up in the same community, with cultural constraints with which the other Indian women have grown from emigration communities. If it is. Around an alternative view to would act a different way of dealing with violence that you have learned through the western society in which they lived, but then another Indian-born women are exposed to the same influences I am always surprised that they end up reacting to violence, such as women in India do it: they tolerate and rationalize the violence. So how it comes to your deviating reaction?
SORAYA: It would be very difficult to describe the violence that I've experienced in my original "family". Not only the physical, the constant attacks on my mind, my heart and my mind. It left me shattered, conagra russellville ar broken back and saddled me the heavy burden of shame, which was not mine. Very early on I vowed solemnly EVEN if I had sometime in the location, I would not live my life that way.
My "mother" conagra russellville ar is a woman with a broken psyche ... weak and hypocritical. Early on I decided quite deliberately, never to be like her. Since I no mentors or Vo

No comments:

Post a Comment